What is the Parish Giving Scheme (PGS)?
The Parish Giving Scheme is a nationwide tool to support church giving, manage regular donations and reduce parish administration.
The scheme allows people to make regular, planned donations to their local church by Direct Debit.
It is operated as a partnership between Church of England dioceses to ensure that it can remain delivered locally but administered as cost effectively as possible. It has been in operation since 2008 and is already making a huge impact.
Bristol has become the 18th diocese to join the scheme, and is offering the benefits to all parishes free of charge.
How can my church benefit?
The benefits of this scheme include:
- an improved cash flow and a reduced administrative burden as Gift Aid is claimed automatically and paid into the church account each month,
- ‘inflation-proofed’ giving, as donors have the option to increase their gift annually in line with inflation thus retaining the ‘real’ value of their donation, and
- encouraging parishioners to review their giving annually.
100% of donations come directly back to your parish from the PGS each month.
Introducing the PGS also provides you with an excellent opportunity to talk about money with your congregation/s. This has the potential to bring about a change in cultural attitudes to giving. To take full advantage of this opportunity you’re strongly recommended to introduce the PGS alongside an appropriate giving programme.
How can my church offer the scheme?
To register your church, download a registration form below and return this to Clare Fussell, Giving and Resources Adviser, at:
Diocese of Bristol, Hillside House, 1500 Parkway North, Stoke Gifford, BS34 8YU
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Materials to help you to join the scheme:
Parish Registration form - to be returned to Clare Fussell, Diocese of Bristol
Supporting materials for your congregation:
- Introduction to the Parish Giving Scheme (A5, 4-side booklet)
- How is the church funded? (A5, 4-side booklet)
- Why do we give to church? (Including giving guide)