Diocesan Board of Education
The Diocesan Board of Education is a statutory body governed by the Diocesan Board of Education Measure 1991 and the Bristol Diocesan Board of Education Measure 1997. Its purpose is to oversee and support church school education, including supporting the provision of RE for all pupils across the diocese.
- The Bishop and her two senior staff nominations, in this case our suffragen Bishop and one Archdeacon
- Laity from each archdeaconry elected by the Diocesan Synod
- Clergy from each archdeaconry elected by the Diocesan Synod
- Members co-opted by the Board with experience of church schools and/or other relevant experience
The Board also operates two sub-committees and an academies Company to progress specific functions of the Board, all of which are supported by Diocesan officers.
Additional DBE working groups are formed as necessary to carry out specific project work.
- Strategic plan of DBE
- Resourcing and budgets
- School organization, planning and policy, including academies planning in partnership with the Diocese of Bristol Academies Company
- School buildings and estates
- Educational/ moral/ theological insights
- Governance including foundation governor appointments
- Support and challenge for Christian distinctiveness of schools
- Support and challenge for educational performance and governance of schools
- Section 48 inspections (SIAMS)
- Review of the Schools Risk register
DoBAC is a separate incorporated company limiting liability to the diocesan Board of Finance. In effect, it is a committee of DBE and works to the DBE remit.
- To be a corporate Member of each Church-led Multi Academy Trust (MAT) and CE Single Academy Trust (SAT) and through these Members to hold schools to account for these responsibilities:
- the Christian Distinctiveness and SIAMS outcomes of their CE schools.
- key educational performance outcomes;
- financial outcomes and 3 year forward projections;
- legal compliance of their CE schools.
- To oversee due diligence checks on proposed Church-led MATs or converting CE schools joining existing or Church-led MATs and agree or prohibit change.
- To appoint Foundation Directors, Members and Local Board Foundation Governors to schools in Church-led MATs and CE SATs, within the terms of the Articles of each Company.
- Ensure engagement with appointments of Church-led MAT Chief Executive Officers (CEO) and Principals in CE Academies and Members as outlined in the Articles of each Company and any Memorandum of Understanding/Diocesan guidance.